Saturday, January 21, 2023

Focusing on Faith in Healing

I can remember times in my life where I questioned God for unanswered healing in my body when I was going through terrible insomnia and physical pain issues that resulted from an incident in college. No matter what my doctor, chiropractor, and medications did, it didn't fix the problems. It was one of the most challenging and frustrating times I went through. There are well-meaning Christians (particularly in the Charismatic/Pentecostal movement) who are extremely passionate about preaching on healing and believing miracles and exclaim if you're not healed it's because you lack faith, but that's only partially correct as I have known sick people who genuinely loved the Lord and had faith yet they never received healing for their disease or physical pain. But many are quite dismissive of that fact and love to quote Isaiah 53:5 and 1 Peter 2:24 which declare that by His stripes (Jesus) we are healed, but that's referring to spiritual healing (salvation and freedom from sin) more than physical healing. 

We have to remember that we live in a fallen world where diseases and pain exist as a result of sin and it's curse. Yes, God can heal if He wanted to but He doesn't always deliver healing on Earth. Sometimes, that healing occurs after the person has passed away and is in heaven. This isn't about whether He "can" heal, but rather does He "want" to heal? Like Luke 22:42 says, "Not my will, but your will be done." Not everyone gets healed from cancer, blindness, or whatever ailment is out there. Here's a well-written post by a friend of mine on healing. 

Written by Craig Griebel

I have a pretty skeptical mind. I really can't deny that. I feel that this sometimes makes it difficult to have the faith in God that I truly should have. This rings even more true when looking at the topic of God being a Healer. Now, I was raised in a charismatic church - meaning that I have been taught that God can heal every disease imaginable if we have the right amount of faith. And to be honest, as the skeptic I have always had a hard time truly having faith in God for this matter. Fast forward to a year ago when I'm diagnosed with kidney malfunctions - now the concept of God being a healer is more relevant than ever before. Now I need Him more than ever before. And that is what basically started this series - a need for me personally to look at faith and challenge myself to truly "Let go and Let God" have it.

There are really three main schools of thought concerning the healing nature of God. The first is that God can heal every disease and will heal it if we only have faith. The second is that God has the ability to heal every disease but often He chooses not to in order for us to grow in our walk with Him. The third is quite simply that God no longer gives physical healing - that is only something He did in the past to help the apostles spread the Gospel all over the world. I really don't write this note to get in an argument over which of these is correct - and I think to focus on this as an argument would ruin the whole concept of the series which is making all of this practical. But I do write this as much as a confession to myself as a help to other people: my God still has the ability to heal diseases. The "problem" is that God simply does not always see everything in the same light I do.

"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways.' This is the LORD's declaration. 'For as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.'" (Isaiah 55:8-9). This passage is a humbling one for me - one that constantly kicks me in the butt. For you see, I work in health care and I see a lot of broken people. I see people that have stories which are more depressing than a Life Time movie. I look at these people and think: "God, why? Why do they have to be so broken? Why do you allow them such hurt? If you can heal, why don't you?" And this is where I become even more humbled - because occasionally I feel that He answers.

I feel the first answer is this: have you prayed for them? Has anyone bridged the gap and spent time actually interceding for this person. Too often I feel the answer is no. Again, I'm not trying to say that God automatically heals every disease when we pray but I do feel He would move a heck of a lot more if we actually, truly interceded. "The prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The intense prayer of the righteous is very powerful." (James 5:15-16) How often do I actually spend time in prayer and fasting for those that are sick? How often do I pray and fast to intercede for the lost? So often I just utter the phrase: "I'll be praying for you" and never seek God in the matter again. 

I had a patient a while back come in with some severe foot pain from a knee surgery that basically severed her nerves. The surgeon told her to expect a year of severe burning in her foot - and she came to the clinic in some of the worst pain I have ever seen. As I was talking to her about this condition one day, I told her that simple phrase: "I'll be praying for you". Suddenly, God convicted me - why not just pray for her then? She had stated she had faith in Christ so I asked her on the spot in that treatment room: "Do you mind if I pray?" After agreeing, I said a simple prayer of healing. My faith wasn't somehow super powered - it was a prayer of seeing someone broken and knowing I serve a mighty God. She left that day and when she returned a few days later told me she had no longer had any nerve pain. Months later she came back to the clinic for another condition and told me she still hasn't had nerve pain since the time we prayed. How life was different for this lady because God finally was able to break through the stubbornness and embarrassment in my heart to finally have me intercede for her on the spot.

However, that is not to say God always answers positively in our request for healing. Sometimes I feel He does say no to our petitions. Paul experienced this very sensation when he prayed for God to lift a "thorn of his flesh" off of him. Paul speaks of this matter in 2 Corinthians when he states: "Concerning this, I pleaded with the Lord three times to take it (the problem Paul was having) away from me. But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.'" (2 Corinthians 12:8-9) At times God does say "no". At times God does say "not now". The secret in faith is to not let your belief be destroyed in the times he does say no. The secret in faith is being content with whatever God's will is. And this can be hard when we see suffering. However, suffering is temporary while joy is eternal. Those aren't empty words - they are promises.

Indeed, God does still heal. However, God doesn't take orders from me. But I dare not take that fact and use it as an excuse. I have failed when it comes to truly interceding for others. I have failed when it comes to truly declaring the healing abilities of God. I have failed in trying to make God less supernatural than he truly is. I need to work on my faith in this matter. But it is encouraging to look and see that God still uses a failure like me. It is encouraging to see that God still moves through our prayers. And I pray it is encouraging to you to know that you truly can still have faith in a God who has the ability to heal our diseases.

"Immediately the father of the boy cried out, 'I do believe! Help my unbelief.' When Jesus saw that a crowd was rapidly coming together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, 'You mute and deaf spirit, I command you: come out of him and never enter him again!' Then it came out." Mark 9:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment