Sunday, January 1, 2023

New Year, New You

When bad memories start playing in my mind to keep me distracted from improving and growing in life, I try to remind myself that even though my past had unkind or ungenerous people, involved poor decision making, and tons of hurt. I am not defined by any one of those. I was simply human back then and I'm still human now. Even the people in my life who had a negative impact on me, are also dead just like my former self is dead as well. Whatever insensitive and demeaning or belittling communication (it's not just verbal) they've used and uttered about me or to me, whether it contained truth (nobody's perfect) or was branded misunderstood. They are dead too who only belong in the past, which is dead too. The past is history, but the lessons remain alive. 

No matter what memories and feelings try to remind me, I am not the same person I was years ago. I'm continuously learning and evolving every day. While it may not look like it right now on the surface, it doesn't mean nothing is taking place inside. Growth and transformation doesn't happen overnight. And even when nobody notices, it doesn't mean it isn't significant! Progress is still progress regardless. The good that came out of every circumstance or situation I've faced has taught me valuable lessons and wisdom. And how people talk, act or behave towards others says more about them and taught me how *not* to conduct myself towards others. It increased understanding and empathy to people of various backgrounds. Still a work in progress but every year adds more growth on top of the next. 

Despite the hurt or unforgettable memories (though the past is gone) I'm thankful to gain strength and improve in some areas. Even people's faults can help steer you in that direction if you let yourself be teachable in the process. Learn from your past, but don't live there. (Or try not to) #ANewYearANewYou

No comments:

Post a Comment