Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day. That being said, it can be lonely and hard for those who don’t have that “special someone” to cherish and spend time with. I’m not married nor am I in a relationship with a guy. Quite frankly, I’ve never been on a romantic date. Most people my age have been and are now living together with kids. But there are people in the same or similar situation like mine. To those people, I firmly believe that if God wants you to be in a relationship or marry, He’ll let you know according to His wisdom and timing. I believe that your emotional and mental maturity also plays a factor in that, and how willing you are to selflessly and sacrificially commit in the relationship.

Now I know it’s easy to say, “Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard that so many times” or “You don’t know how difficult it is for me.” You’re right, I don’t. And I’m not here to diminish your desires. I’ve wondered if God wants me to remain single or marry someday. I still do. But regardless of whatever situation you’re in right now, I can tell you that God is good and He is enough. He knows you better than you know yourself and what is best for you. I’m not going to share a myriad of reasons as to why you might still be single. You may already know them, or are in a season of discovering them. I will say the best way to embrace your season of singleness, however long it lasts, is to focus on ways you can serve those around you while you have the freedom to do so. Not just that, but if you really reflect on the love God has given you, that the second person of the triune God stepped into time from eternity, took on the form of a human through the incarnate birth, to humble Himself and sacrifice His life so you could enter having a triune relationship with God Himself, it really blows your mind away. John 3:16, Philippians 2:6-11, and Titus 2:11-14 will take on a whole new meaning not just on Valentines Day, but in all your life.

In the meantime, pray about and look for opportunities to volunteer in the children’s ministry or teen and college ministries at your church. Find ways you can pray for and help married couples, parents, nursing homes, communities in your area, etc. Who knows? You may get to travel and go on mission trips. It may not ease the loneliness on some nights sitting by the fire and sipping on hot cocoa, but it will be more rewarding and give you a new sense of meaning and perspective. Just a thought.  Share the love this Valentines.



No comments:

Post a Comment