Friday, March 20, 2020

A True Christian Is A Growing Christian

 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”-Matthew 7:24

“Disciples are called to a level deeper than knowledge. They are called to practice what they know. Jesus is not just calling us to come to Him, He is calling us to GO and DO.”

“Jesus wants us to build our lives on Him because that’s the only way to truly live. Jesus isn’t laying burdens on our shoulders too heavy to carry. He is laying a foundation for our lives too strong to move.”

This quote came from my pastor on the Sermon of the Mount series he’s been preaching for a while.

I’m participating in a bible study at church on Follow Me by David Platt, we’ve just started and so far it’s pretty good. I’ve been pondering and meditating a lot evidenced from my posts about comparison, identity, and the love of Christ. In addition to Follow Me and going over the Sermon of the Mount, I’ve also been studying Romans in Sunday school class, and what I find neat is that they all come together to share the significance of the Gospel invitation of true, abundant living. I didn’t realize the pieces sowing together until one day it just dawned on me.

The freedom there is as we walk in His ways, on the narrow road, dying to sin and flesh as we continue this personal and relational journey we have to knowing more of our Triune God. How it’s supposed to change us and the way we live. Our attitudes, thoughts, feelings, and actions should align to what we’re being taught. James 1:22 says, “Be doers of the Word and not hearers only, otherwise you’re deceiving yourself.”

If there is no change taking place in your life, I would begin to question if you really have an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. If you’re not interested in knowing Him more, wanting to live for Him in submission and obedience to His will, and the things of Him. And instead are more interested in rebelling against His ways by chasing after temporary pleasures and comforts of this world to satisfy you, staying complacent, and not even trying or wanting to pursue Him and His kingdom, there’s a problem.

The evidences you should be displaying if you’re a true, born again Christian is the fruit you cultivate overtime. The fruits listed in Galatians 5:22. These fruits don’t grow overnight. They are carefully nurtured, watered, and grown with great care. A Christian’s life is marked by their sanctification, a process of growing more to be like Christ. It is the Holy Spirit who does the job of sanctifying as you renew your mind through reading and hearing the Word of God, and obeying what it says. That change is evidenced by a personal and relational journey we have with our God and Savior. Time will tell and the fruit is our outward display of a changed heart within.

As I look back on my life, I shudder at how I acted towards people, the things I’ve said, and things I’ve done that I’m not proud of. I was so immature and self-centered. Quite frankly, I’ve still got a long ways to go. But, I can say with certainty that I’m not where I used to be and I thank God for that. For being so patient and loving towards me as He grew seeds planted in my heart, that became softened and tendered. Producing blossoms that represented my spiritual infancy stages and maturing into deliciously ripe fruit.

Again, I still have a long ways to go. To rip apart and forsake idols, tempting desires, and fleeting pleasures of this world that sit on the throne of my heart instead of my Master, Savior, and King who reigns and should be supreme in my life.

Oh how I fall short of this and slip up. It becomes so easy to compare, to want, and be more so my pride gets all the glory. That very same pride which led Lucifer to rebel and be kicked out from heaven. There is only one who deserves all the praise, honor, and glory. And that is my amazing and awesome God. 

The more we live in surrendered lives to God, submitting to Him and dying to ourselves, the more freedom, joy, peace, love, fulfillment, and abundance there is and the more satisfying and rewarding our lives will be. That is what God wants for all of us. Dying to self-sin actually means stripping ourselves from the things that destroy us and finding new life. And following our Savior will lead us more on that path.

These truths are so beautiful, powerful, convicting, and rewarding despite the challenges it brings. Great lessons and reminders we need to be instilling in our lives if we’re going to keep growing as disciples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment