Friday, February 17, 2017

Soaking In God's Word

I won’t lie. When it comes to doing my quiet time in the Word, I don’t always commit to it. I’m going through the Gospel of Luke right now, and more than once, I’ll get distracted by other things and not “feel” like continuing where I left off. Then when I realize that I neglected to read the Bible, I’ll let guilt consume me and put my Bible away. Honestly, you will have those moments where you just really don’t want to spend time in God’s Word. But if you don’t ever read and study it, you won’t grow spiritually and instead be drifting backwards. Thus, leaving you unfulfilled and slowly be unproductive in bearing fruit for God’s kingdom. In order to maintain consistent fruit in your life, one must stay hidden in the Word.

As I was tempted to throw in the towel again, I shook off my unwillingness and read a portion of the Psalms and Proverbs. Using highlighters and colored pencils to mark certain words and a pencil to underline and circle phrases that jumped out at me. It was a beautiful time of soaking in the amazing truths I learned. I felt rejuvenated and vigorous. 

My suggestion to you if you’re struggling to stay in God’s Word is to read the Psalms or Proverbs. Study and meditate on the beautiful prayers or wisdom gleaned through those passages. Personalize them into prayers or poetry. Maybe even a prayer/poem. James is another good place to start. But to each their own. Just remember when you decide to quit, you’re admitting defeat to the devil. NEVER do that. Fight back. Lives are literally at stake when we don’t. Think about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment